Chris Coetzee, MD is a specialist in foot and ankle reconstruction, trauma injuries, and sports medicine.
Dr. Coetzee is a graduate of the University of Pretoria School of Medicine, in South Africa. He completed his residency at the University of Stellenbosch, located in Cape Town, South Africa. He completed a trauma fellowship in Davos, Switzerland and a foot and ankle fellowship at the University of Washington and the Harborview Medical Center, in Seattle.
- Crosstown Surgery Center*
- Fairview Southdale Hospital
- University of Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview
|Professional Affiliations and Membership
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (2006 - present)
- American Medical Association (1999 - present)
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (1995 - present)
- Education Committee Member (2003 - present)
- Minnesota Orthopaedic Society (1999 - present)
- Minnesota Medical Association (1999 - present)
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association (2003 - present)
- Royal College of Surgeons, Canada (1996 - present)
- South African Orthopaedic Society (1993 - present)
- South African Medical Association (1985 - present)
- A.O. Alumni Association (1994 - present)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (2004 - present)
|Special Achievements and Awards
Recent Presentations & Publications
- Top Doctor: Voted a top orthopedic surgeon by his peers in Mpls/St. Paul magazine (2007, 2009)
- Elected Board Member: American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society
- University of Minnesota: Selected best teacher/instructor by orthopaedic resident (2004)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons: Foot and Ankle Evaluation Subcommittee Member (2009 - 2012)
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society: Education Committee Member (2003 - present)
- Department Trophy: Most Outstanding Final Year Orthopaedic Resident, University of Stellenbosch (1992)
- Synthes Award: Best Research Paper in Orthopaedic Dept., University of Stellenbosch (1989, 1991, 1992)
- Medical Association of South Africa: John S. Struthers Award for student
in his clinical years who rendered an exceptional service to the
general student community (1983)
Invited guest speaker for 6th Biennial Congress South African Surgeons Association (SAFSA), Somerset West, Western Cape, Africa. March 3-5, 2011.
Ellington JK, Myerson M, Coetzee JC, Stone RM. The Use of the Lapidus Procedure for Recurrent Hallux Valgus. American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) Specialty Day. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, February 19, 2011.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, February 15-18, 2011.
-Moderator: Bunions Are Easy! But Why is the Recurrence and Failure Rate so High? Cracking the Code (ICL #203)
-The Land of Ligaments: Navigating Sprains, Strains and Ruptures About the Foot and Ankle (K)
-Poster # P207: Ellington JK, Myerson M, Coetzee JC, Stone RM. The Use of the Lapidus Procedure for Recurrent Hallux Valgus
Geriatric Orthopaedic Fracture Conference, St. Paul, MN. December 2-3, 2010.
-Ankle and Foot Fractures in the Elderly.
-Post Traumatic Foot and Ankle Reconstruction (moderator)
-Degenerative Foot and Ankle Issues for Older Patients
40th Annual Orthopaedic and Trauma Seminar, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN. November 18, 2010
-The Isolated Fibular Fracture Should NOT be Fixed
-Subtalar Arthrodesis: When and How
An Expert’s Symposium: Techniques and Controversies in Ankle Arthritis, New York, NY, USA, October 22-23, 2010.
-The Salto Ankle Replacement: Surgical Tips and Pitfalls
-Management of Bone Loss and Ankle Arthrodesis
-My Technique for Arthrodesis following failure
Faculty for the Total Ankle Instructional Course. Zurich. September 30-October 1, 2010.
The Wonderful World of the Always-Evolving Foot and Ankle Practice. 2010/11 Visiting Professor Lecture Series: Distinguished Research and Honorary Service Lectures. New York, NY, USA, September 17, 2010.
Guest Speaker. Wavering Lecture Series. The NorthShore and University of Chicago Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Evanston, Illinois. September 2010.
3rd International Symposium on Operative and Biologic Treatments in Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics. ArthroMunich. Olympic Hall, Munich, Germany. June 26-27, 2009
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, NV, USA February 25-27, 2009
-Surgical Technique in the Management of the Adult Flatfoot
-Moderator: Emerging Methods for Treating Ankle Arthritis
-Total Ankle Replacement Systems used in the USA
American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society Summer meeting, Vancouver, BC. July 15-18
- Management of Valgus Deformity with Ankle replacements - Podium talk
- Moderator of session: "When bad things happen to good surgeons"
Coetzee JC, Ebeling, PB, Easley ME. Revision Hallux Valgus Correction. In: Wiesel S. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011: Volume 4; Chapter 15:3564–3576.
Naal F, Rippstein P, Coetzee JC, Huber M. Total ankle replacement using a new three-component implant. JBJS (#-D-10-00913R3) Accepted for Publication 2011.
Ellington JK, Myerson M, Coetzee JC, Stone RM. The use of the Lapidus procedure for recurrent hallux valgus. Foot Ankle Int (#FAI-2010-004217RR) Accepted for Publication 2011.
Coetzee JC. Surgical strategies: lateral ligament reconstruction as part of the management of varus ankle deformity with ankle replacement. Foot Ankle Int, Mar 2010; 31(3): 267-74.
Coetzee, JC. Surgical Strategies: Lateral Ligament Reconstruction as Part of the Management of Varus Ankle Deformity with Ankle Replacement. Foot and Ankle International. 2010 March; 31(3):267-274.
Coetzee, JC, Ebeling P: Treatment of Syndesmoses Disruptions: A prospective, randomized study comparing conventional screw fixation vs TightRope® fiber wire fixation – medium term results. South African Orthopaedic Journal. Autumn 2009; Volume 8, (1): 32-37.
Scranton PE, Coetzee JC, Carreira D. Arthrodesis of the first metatarsocuneiform joint: a comparative study of fixation methods. Foot Ankle Int. 2009 Apr;30(4):341-5.
Coetzee, JC: Making Sense of Lisfranc Injuries. Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America; 2008 Dec; Volume 13, Issue 4: 695-704.
Star Tribune: "Below the sock line, doc is tops"
this physician has a financial interest in Crosstown Surgery Center.
Request an Appointment with Dr. Coetzee
Larry Nilsson, PA-C
Kristin Stoneberg, ATC
Foot and Ankle Surgery
Total Ankle Replacement
Sports Related Injuries
Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Board Member, AOFAS, 2008-2010
Associate Professor and Director, Foot and Ankle Services, U of M Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2004 - 2006
Assistant Professor, U of M Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1994 - 2004
Clinical Associate Professor, U of M Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2006 - present
Assistant Editor/Consultant Reviewer, Foot and Ankle International Journal, 2000 - present
Reviewer, American Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2002 - present
Reviewer, Current Orthopaedic and Related Research, 2003 - present
Reviewer, Orthopaedics, 2003 - present
Committee member, AOFAS Education Committee, 2004 - present
Committee member, AAOS - CME, 2009 - 2012